Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Following Atticus....

The annoying sound of my alarm yanked me from my blissful slumber at 4:00 AM. Dawn would not be breaking for another couple of hours. As I dragged myself from the warm embrace of my bed, I realized I was not feeling well. I had a head cold! Something I have not been afflicted with in over 2 1/2 years! Of course it would happen on the day I would be "Following Atticus" up a mountain.

It's at this point I need to back up a bit. In case you don't know who Atticus is (I'll be disappointed because I mentioned him in a previous post), his full name is Atticus M. Finch. He is an amazing little dog, who has achieved a measure of celebrity from appearing in a book written by his human friend, Tom Ryan. The book is called Following Atticus.

I highly recommend you read this wonderful story about friendship between a man and a dog. Prior to this hike, I had the distinct pleasure of meeting them both at a book signing in Concord, NH.

As a show of appreciation for all his fans, Tom decided that he and Atticus would lead a hike consisting of some lucky fans. From over 1400 requests, 24 of us were picked. It felt like we all won a Golden Ticket from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!!!

So, even though I was feeling terrible, I decided that nothing short of the Plague was going to keep me from attending the hike. I had to meet this wonderful group of fellow Atticus Groupies that I had been getting to know on a Facebook page set up for this hike, and of course, I had to hike with Tom & Atticus.

I quickly fixed myself a coffee, made some green tea for later on the hike, took some snacks, took some cold medicine, grabbed my backpack and headed out the door. It was 4:45 AM, and dawn was still a ways off. It was time for my 2 1/2 hour ride to Jackson, New Hampshire to meet up with the group. Leaving early for a hike is not out of the norm for me. I like to get to the trail head early. It makes it more likely that you will have the trail to yourself, and if lucky, the summit as well.

As I passed Exit 28 on I93, and more importantly, the Dunkin Donuts right off the ramp, I knew that this was not going to be a normal hike. I was going way outside my routine and comfort zone on this hike. First, I am usually uncomfortable with groups when I don't know anyone, and second, I never hike with a group. I usually hike alone, or with only 1-2 close friends....and I always stop at the Dunkin Donuts at Exit 28!

Anyway, after miles and miles and miles in the car, I arrived at the Inn Jackson where we were all meeting.
People began slowly arriving and eventually, we all sat down for breakfast at the Inn. Everyone split up four to a table.This was a great opportunity to get to know each other a little more closely.

One of the hikers, Michael Boutin, presented Tom with a walking staff he made. The staff was incredible. It had been decorated with Atticus's likeness and the names of all the hikers. Truly a special gift, and one that I know Tom is going to enjoy for years to come. Michael also told a story about his father and the walking stick that left not a dry eye in the room. Very emotional. Anyway, we eventually finished breakfast and drove to the trail head.

At the trail head, the excitement was palatable. Everyone seemed to be talking all at once, and some sported nervous smiles. A few rechecked their packs, while others tightened the laces on their boots or trail shoes. Soon enough, we were all ready.

Appropriately, Atticus lead the way, and we all "Followed Atticus" for a little while. With 24 hikers, all with different levels of fitness and experience, the line got stretched out pretty quickly.

The plan was to hike to the summit of South Moat Mountain, 2.7 miles from the parking lot, and then traverse the ridge over to Middle Moat Mountain to have lunch. It was my plan, while the group rested on Middle Moat, to push on and bag North Moat solo, thereby claiming the two Moats on the 52 With A View list I am working on. I was then going to join them at Middle Moat for lunch. You know what they say about "The best laid plans of mice and men...". More on that later.

On and on we hiked, stopping frequently to let people catch up. As the trail got steeper, the group stretched out further, and the rest stops became longer. On the way up we were treated to some great views, which elicited more excitement from the group.

Onward we climbed, slowly inching our way to the first summit. At about 3/4 of the way to the top of South Moat, Tom came and told me to go on alone and get North Moat because if I waited for the group, I would never get there. He said the group would meet me on Middle Moat and we'd all have lunch and take the group photo there.

This was the second time Tom told me to go on my own. I felt funny leaving the group, but Tom said it was okay, so off I went. I went from .8 mph hiking speed to over 5 mph hiking speed, at one point topping out at 6.7! I was really pushing myself to my limit so I would not make the group wait for me.

Let me tell you, this was not a flat 5 extra miles. There were two other peaks and some up and down terrain in between...and I was feeling quite sick from the head cold I woke with.
By the time I was on my way back, I had a feeling that I would not see the group on Middle Moat. I was right. I could hear and see them on South Moat, so I started hustling even harder so I could meet up with them. I never got to eat my lunch, and began cramping up on the climb back up South Moat.

I reached South Moat Summit, just as they were heading down. I was totally exhausted, and probably should have rested a bit. I had done the additional 5 miles in a little over an hour. Although I should have rested, I continued on because I felt I had spent enough time away from the group! After seeing some of their photos, it was apparent that I missed some special moments. Peak bagging can be a lonely existence at times.

I am proud to say that everyone completed the hike to South Moat. For some in the group, it was their first time on a mountain top. You could clearly see the pride of joy in their tired faces. They came from far and wide, from Texas, North Carolina, California, Ohio and Maine to name a few States. We call came from such different backgrounds and histories, all united in our admiration of a little dog and his friend Tom Ryan. Somehow, through the experience, we all became a bit like some crazy eclectic family.

Many of these hikers have overcome tragedy and adversity, and this hike was a type of healing for them. Many others are in involved in animal rescue and/or fostering unwanted dogs. Me, I'm just a hiker, and feel blessed and humbled that they let me tag along with them.

There is a quote I like by Alfred Tennyson that says "I am a part of all that I have met." While this is surely true, I feel more importantly that these former strangers and now called friends, are a part of me! This is a memory I will hold dear for the rest of my life.

Here is a video I made for the hike. I hope you enjoy it. Onwards by all means. Happy Trails....





11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your day with us Jack! Hope your cold is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting story and video. Thank you for sharing. Hope your head cold is better. The memories you made (and shared) will be cherished, not just by you, but your fans. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your feeling better Jack, thank you for sharing your version of the hike with us. You really impressed me with your ability to hike way beyond us especially with how sick you were that day. I enjoyed the time you were there with the group. You were far ahead & I was far behind, we both missed parts but the pictures others are sharing helps see some of it. Onward by all means my new friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. I am glad you liked it. You should be very proud of yourself! You made the summit!!! That's pretty cool! Onwards!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Nice video! I did a Gratitude Hike of my own with two friends and my rescue dog Carson, here in my Rockies. I thought of all of you all day....and ended the hike sharing the book with my 89 yr. old hiking companion. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great!!! I would love to hike & ski the Rockies! Thanks for reading and watching my video!

      Tom & Atticus, and the rest of the Gratitude hikers were awesome. Really cool people!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading your recount of the hike, Jack, and the video is great too. I can't get the mountains out of my head now. I think I'm going to have to come back and do it again. Wish it wasn't so far away.

    ReplyDelete