Monday, August 18, 2014

Success is how you look at it...

So, I have more cuts, scrapes and bruises from yesterday's hike than I have ever had from any hike before. Our destination was Mt Success, and a little past the summit, the remains of Northeast Airlines DC 3 Flight 792 which crashed on Mt Success November 30th, 1954.  Once compete, I would have six of the 52 With A View mountains remaining to complete the list.

We would hike 2.4 miles on the Success Trail to the junction of the Mahoosuc Trail (part of the Appalachian Trail), go South another .6 or so on the AT to the summit of Mt Success, and then on another short bit to the crash. It seemed simple enough.

The hike started easy enough and we quickly made it to the first outlook. We were rewarded with some tremendous views. It was well worth the little side trip off the main trail.








This wasn't a big mountain, but things went downhill quickly. First, Richard Easterbrooks and I mistook the AT Boundary for the AT trail, and went about 3 miles out of way.

The AT Boundary, for those who don't know, is placed on either side of the Appalachian Trail, marking the boundary of the Appalachian Trail system.


Realizing we were going the wrong way, we tried bushwhacking our way to the summit, but found the going impenetrable. I was lucky enough to get a signal on my phone and through the miracle that is Facebook, reached out to my friend Darcy Davenport

With her help we were able to figure out where the trail actually was. Since this was his first hike since injuring his knee, Rich implored me to continue on to get the summit. He had had enough of being lost and decided to wait for me at the trail junction to give his knee a rest, while I continued on.

Not wanting to keep Rich waiting, I ran the entire way to the summit. It was steep in some spots, and I was very winded when I reached the top. 



After summiting, I decided to try to find the crash site. A nice couple I met on top told me it was only about 2/10ths of a mile away (it wasn't). 

After continuing on, I finally found the remains of the wreckage of Northeast Airlines DC 3 Flight 792


To get to the wreckage, you need to leave the trail a little. After taking photographs of the wreckage, I decided to head right back to meet Rich.


However, on the way out, I got turned around and had no  idea which way to go.

I walked for 2-3 tenths of a mile and realized I was going the wrong way. I retraced my steps to the crash site so I could try to find the trail again. After a short time, I still found myself going the wrong way. 


The thought of needing rescuing mortified me!! Although I would be fine if I had to stay the night in the woods, I knew that I would never live it down with Rich.


 
I had now been blundering about the wilderness for nearly an hour and was becoming extremely tired from all the extra up and down trying to find my way. While I won't say I was beginning to panic, I was getting a bit concerned I would be spending the night in the woods.

I decided the best course of action was to go straight up the mountain to find the summit. I knew that the trail would be definitely there. I clawed my way through some thick, nearly impenetrable scrub growth. I can't remember how many times I got scratched, stabbed, tripped and fell over branches or had the trees grab at my pack and get me tangled. I even lost my GPS in the process too!

After considerable effort, and brute force, I broke through and made my way to the summit and found the trail again. Having now been over 1.5 hours since leaving Rich at the trail junction, I immediately began running the trail to make up time. After many slips and slides down some of the steeper sections, I finally made it back to Rich. 

At this point, we began the slow, 2.4 mile slog back to the vehicle. The remaining walk, although long, went uneventful and we eventually made it back.





I definitely have to say that Mt Success was not my favorite mountain, although it was worth seeing the crash site.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment